Mr Vladimir Vekshin of our Museum’s Military History Department donated to the Tsarskoe Selo collection a 1950 set of photographs of the Alexander Palace.
The photos were taken by Alfred Sekke during Alexander Pushkin’s 150th birth anniversary exhibition set out in the palace, which was thought to become the “House of Pushkin”, while the National Pushkin Museum was to move from Moscow to the “town of Russia’s great poet”.
The three State Halls in the middle of the palace housed the "Pushkin and Soviet culture" display. The eight rooms of Nicholas and Alexandra offered displays on the poet’s life and creative work.
The exhibition opened in 1949 but ran only until 1951, when the palace was vacated and passed to a military institution.