The Pyramid – one of the first pavilions in the Landscape Park (the Catherine Park) – was constructed in 1770–72 to the design of Vasily Neyelov. It was dismantled as early as 1774 and rebuilt in 1782–83 by Charles Cameron. The green, moss-covered surface of what is a typical construction for parks in the late eighteenth-century Romantic era gives it the look of an ancient mausoleum. The Pyramid was deliberately placed aside from the main path, so that strollers lulled by the quiet of the shady park might come upon it unexpectedly and inspired to a rush of reminiscences.
The Pyramid is made of brick and faced with trimmed granite. One side is pierced by the entrance. Four columns hewn from grey Urals marble once stood on pedestals at the corners. The room inside the pavilion is covered by a hemispherical vault with an opening in the centre. The walls contain niches for the storage of urns.
Behind the Pyramid, opposite the entrance, three of Catherine II’s favourite dogs were buried: Tom Anderson, Zemira and Duchesse. The graves were once marked by white marble stones with engraved epitaphs but those have not survived.